Dan ScandlingDan Scandling

Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders have been defying conventional wisdom for months. Neither was expected to be anything more than a sideshow but their campaigns have turned the political establishment of both parties on their heads. What’s their secret?

Here are four takeaways that every PR professional should remember:

Messaging Matters

Both Trump and Sanders have cogent messages that are easy to understand. While you may not like what they say, they appeal to their respective bases, which is critical in the nominating process – and to any effective PR campaign.

Standing Up for your Convictions

Even when they (allegedly) misstep – think Trump’s spat with the Pope or Sanders’ comments that America should model itself more after Scandinavia – their response is forceful and direct. There is no equivocation.

They defend their positions then quickly pivot back to their core messages.

Earned Media is Just as Important as Paid Media

Both Trump and Sanders know how to generate news as well as insert themselves into the news of the day, even if their statements are sometimes over the top.

While Sanders has benefited from advertising by outside groups, Trump’s paid advertising lags far behind almost all the other GOP candidates.

The value of regularly being on the nightly news and cable talk shows is incalculable. You don’t get there without making news.

Authenticity is Critical

Both Trump and Sanders have successfully tapped into voters’ anger and fear. Anger over Washington’s constant gridlock; and fear that they are barely keeping their heads above water economically.

Trump is appealing to the American people because he says he is going fix everything that is wrong with America.

Trust me, I will get things done, he says. Sanders is appealing because he says American life is corrupt and unfair.

Trust me, I will level the playing field, he says. The American people believe them and that is why both are still in the game.

Dan Scandling is an SVP at Ogilvy Public Relations in Washington. He worked on Capitol Hill for nearly 25 years and ran elections in Virginia for more than 20 years.