Among all our federal holidays, the most meaningful is the Fourth of July, when we celebrate the birth of our nation and dedicate ourselves once again to the principles our Founding Fathers aspired to in the Declaration of Independence that they so bravely signed that day in 1776: “That all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”
It is true that even as we celebrate, our national unity is being tested by social, religious and political differences. Our response, therefore, must be to remember the qualities that make our nation great — qualities that can keep us bound together despite those differences. Among them are these:
- We remain, despite many challenges, the preeminent global leader, supported in varying degrees by an alliance of like-minded industrial democracies.
- Our national security is ensured by the world's best trained, best equipped, most dedicated Armed Forces.
- We are still the world leader in entrepreneurship.
- We continue to be the chief source of innovations in science and medicine, technology, transportation, communications and a host of other fields.
- We have what is measurably the world's most productive workforce.
- The vast majority of our young people are filled with the same confidence, optimism and ambition as the many generations of Americans before them.
So, as we make our preparations to celebrate July 4th, 2023, let us be thankful to all those who forged the path to our nation’s independence at a price often paid in blood and treasure. Let us remember we have always been a nation that believes in making the world a better place. And let us remember that throughout our 247-year history we have faced many crises, but always in the end came together and moved forward.
As long as the best qualities in our national character remain strong, America will prevail.
Enjoy the holiday.
Robert L. Dilenschneider is the Founder and CEO of The Dilenschneider Group, an international communications firm that provides strategic advice and counsel to Fortune 500 companies and leading families and individuals in fields ranging from mergers and acquisitions, to crisis communications, to marketing, government affairs and foreign media.